Monday, December 18, 2006

Deck the Halls--and all that stuff


I open the magazine at the grocery store and see yet another beautifully decorated house, where the decorations on the tree coordinate, yet aren't a matched set from the box at K-Mart. I see collections of figurines that were collected over the years, yet seem to go together so well. I don't see spots on the carpet or chalk on the door. No homework lays covering the coffee table. Then I move on to the baking section where the cookies are works of art (and taste good too). There aren't any pictures of kids asking "what's in that?". Then I come home where, just like in the magazine, the tree doesn't drop needles (but only because, as much as I love real trees, something had to give, so the tree is artificial). The holiday figurines are arranged so as to have the breakable ones out of "TTR" (tippy-toe reach). The tree ornaments are a collection of whatever has struck my or the kids' fancy over the years, and no they don't match or even coordinate. Even though I cleaned the rug in the den last night, its still not REALLY clean. We cut out and decorate sugar cookies every year, and they look like the kids did them--even if I do. I make sure there are plenty of chocolate chip cookies and brownies to go with the fancier cookies, so my poor kids won't starve. I'll never win any contests for package wrapping. Oh well, I have some beautiful Christmas decorations and here is one I'll share with you:

1 comment:

  1. Your little one is just getting cuter by the day. My house is not out of a magazine either. The community club was having a tour of homes and asked about mine (folks want to see what the new 5br quarters looklike), I declined. I am NOT a decorate. We too have mismatched ornaments on the tree, stuff scattered on the coffee table, no dirty rug (but only because quarters don't come carpeted) but "puppies" (balls of dogfur) everywhere

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats