Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Review: The Lamb's Supper


The Lamb's Supper is one of those books that has been in my TBR stack forever, and started but not finished several times. That doesn't mean it isn't a good book; just the opposite in fact. Rather, it means there was a lot of "meat" there and the book couldn't be read at my usual lightning-fast speed. I'd start it, want something light and entertaining and put it down. Now that I'm making myself read from that stack, and giving myself permission to stop after a chapter (like I said in another post, I'm NOT a chapter-a-day type reader--I read books straight through in a couple of days or I don't read them at all)I'm making inroads on it.

The Lamb's Supper is by scripture scholar Scott Hahn. Hahn was ordained as a Presbyterian minister and later converted to Catholicism. While still a minister he was studying Revelation in the Bible and studying what the Church Fathers wrote about it. Basically they said it was a liturgical manual. Hahn decided to go to a mass to see what he could learn. It was pivotal in his conversion.

The basic thesis of the book is that Revelation talks about Heavenly worship. Through the mass we experience heaven on earth. He goes through some of the symbols and discusses their meaning and shows how the book relates to the mass. It is a book that is easy to read, relatively short, but that gives you a lot to think about. Now I'm thinking I need to read Revelation and see if it makes any more sense than last time I read it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:27 AM

    I've read "The Lamb's Supper" twice and I love it. My only complaint with Scott Hahn is the "funny" topic headings. I tend to read those ahead, just because I am a fan of puns. They can be amusing, but they are distracting, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also read "The Lamb's Supper" (in conjunction with a small faith-sharing group at church). It was good to have other people to discuss the book with; there certainly was A LOT of information in it!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats