Sunday, July 03, 2011

Silver Girl: My Review

Silver Girl: A Novel

About the Book:
Meredith Martin Delinn just lost everything: her friends, her homes, her social standing - because her husband Freddy cheated rich investors out of billions of dollars.

Desperate and facing homelessness, Meredith receives a call from her old best friend, Constance Flute. Connie's had recent worries of her own, and the two depart for a summer on Nantucket in an attempt to heal. But the island can't offer complete escape, and they're plagued by new and old troubles alike. When Connie's brother Toby - Meredith's high school boyfriend - arrives, Meredith must reconcile the differences between the life she is leading and the life she could have had. 

Set against the backdrop of a Nantucket summer, Elin Hilderbrand delivers a suspenseful story of the power of friendship, the pull of love, and the beauty of forgiveness.

My Comments:
I liked it--I wasn't overwhelmed or wowed by it, but I liked it.  With a cover like that, I expected a fluffy beach read, and to some extent, that's what I got.  The rich socialite who realizes she only has one friend left in the world after her husband (seemed to be modeled on Maldoff) was convicted of bilking lots of people out of lots of money.  They retreat to Nantucket to heal--they've both recently lost husbands, but in different ways.  While not a formula romance novel, there are romantic elements and folks get to live happily ever after.  

Connie and Meredith are my age, and yet in so many ways they seemed older; I guess loss does that to you.  I enjoyed watching them get a new start and learn to love again.  I liked the descriptions of Nantucket.  The plot was well-paced and interesting without being complex--like I said, a beach read.  

In some ways, given the premise on which the story was built, the ending, with all loose ends tied up, was a bit too good to be true, but beach reads are supposed to leave you smiling, not pondering.  Grade:  B+

Thanks to the publisher for making a review copy available via NetGalley.

1 comment:

  1. I've read another one of Hilderbrand's books and that's about how I felt - I liked it, but I didn't love it. This sounds like it will be a good summer read.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats