- Flashing, blinking, moving pictures
- Light/bright text on a dark background (this almost guarantees I won't read your blog; my eyes just can't take it).
- Music that comes on automatically when I enter your site
- No "home" button or easy way for me to scroll through your posts (this isn't so much of a problem on blogs I read regularly, but if I come to your blog from someplace else and want to see more, I don't want to have to hunt for your archives to figure out what you are about and whether I want to follow you.
- Jump posts. I know your stat counter likes to see how many posts I read. I know you want to put lots of headlines in front of my face when I first go to your site, but my preference is to read quickly and that means scrolling through posts. Most feed readers today have only snippets so if I come from one of them, then I've already clicked through to your post once, I really dislike having to do so again.
Monday, September 02, 2013
My Pet Peeves About Other People's Blogs
I write this blog. I also read a lot of blogs, some regularly, some periodically. I participate in several link-ups and when I do, I try to visit other participants. While I won't tell you that engaging in my pet peeves will automatically put you on the "do not read" list, the less I like your blog, the more likely these things are to send me elsewhere quickly: