Saturday, January 03, 2015

Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival



Hello, and welcome to Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. We are a group of Catholic bloggers who gather weekly to share our best posts with each other. To participate, go to your blog and create a post titled Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. In it, discuss and link to your posts for  the week--whether they deal with theology, Catholic living or cute Catholic kids. I'm mostly a book blogger so my posts are generally book reviews, some Catholic, some not. Make sure that post links back here. Once you publish it, come back here and leave a link below.

We also have a yahoogroup; signing up for it will get you one weekly reminder to post. Click here to sign up.

It's been quite a week.  On New Year's Eve we got together with some old friends and it was great to see everybody again and to hear how their kids were doing.  We were friends with these folks when we were single, they are Godparents to my kids and we all had our kids about the same time (my baby being the exception to the rule).  Now one couple is waiting to be grandparents for the second time and for their daughter and the father of her kids to tye the knot.  Another worried about their son who was driving to Houston to see his girlfriend.  The daughter of the hosts was off to a party and her parents said she was hoping to go to medical school (she's a college junior).  My college daughter spent the day blowing up balloons at Party City where she got her first job while on break.  Hopefully they'll keep her on their list and she can work during other breaks and over the summer.

On New Year's Day my husband and I headed to my parents' house to pick up part of my inheritance.  Isn't it pretty?

I got a lot of blogging done last weekend.  One of my favorite authors is Lisa Samson and A Thing of Beauty is another winner in my book.  Scott Hahn fans (and maybe even some of the rest of you) will enjoy Joy to the World.  If you are looking for a daily devotional, check out Day by Day for the Holy Souls in Purgatory.    He Leadeth Me  is the spiritual story of an American priest who spend 25 years in the Soviet gulags.  Teens Share the Mission is a series of reflections by teens on service to others. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh man you can't beat traditional inherited furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting, RAnn! This week, I have a new addition to my Rosary Art Collection, a new Bible reading plan, and, of course, as always, my book list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your inheritance is VERY lovely. Just what I always wanted for myself...only now I can see that the oak table we ended up with is better, because I think I would cry if something that pretty got banged up and stained as much as our table is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents bought this after their kids were teens/adults and at this point my kids are big enough not to ruin it. Needless to say, it will not be used on a regular basis--that's why I have the white maple in the kitchen with its nicks, dings and permanent marker stains

      Delete
    2. We have some 1/2" thick pads that go on top of our inherited table, then put a tablecloth over them. It's protected from scrapes, but also from hot dishes that would cloud the wax finish. Anyway, the actual wood top is on show only when the table works as a buffet, not when people sit down to eat.

      Delete
  4. Lovely inheritance. I can just imagine you and your wonderful family enjoying a tasty meal and having fun at that table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful Ruth. You will always cherish it - the memories will come and you'll make new memories too! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Elena, I will always cherish it. I helped my Mom pick it out and kind of knew then that it would end up in my dining room one day. It replaces her old kitchen table that had been in that space and serving as a computer table since I bought a nice kitchen table.

      Delete


View My Stats