Sunday, September 25, 2022

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

 


Hi!  Some of you may recognize this blog, I haven't changed its look since the last time I participated in this link-up, quite some time ago.  I'm one of those long-time book bloggers and I go through phases where I'm just not interested in writing and/or reading.  

One thing I've gotten bored with is writing book reviews.  I'd read books, and then, when I finished, I'd write a review.  Sometimes I'd try to relate the review to something in my life or an issue in the world today, or otherwise try to go beyond just saying how good or bad the book was, but the focus of my posts was on saying how good or bad the book was.  

I've decided to try a new format that I call "Blogging Through the Book" where I sit down and write several times while reading.  What is the set-up for the story and did it hook me?  What was my initial impression of the main character?  Were there any quotes that grabbed me?  Further into the book, is it holding my interest or am I skimming, hoping to reach the good part?  I'm kind of going for what I'd tell you about the book if you found me reading it on several different days and asked about it---what would I tell you.  I have three reviews in this format.  


Blogging Through the Book:  Twice in a Lifetime






I am also trying to use books as a take-off for general discussion posts.  Maybe I'll pick up on something about the writing, or even about an issue raised in the story and I'm going to focus my post on that, rather than on a more traditional book review.  I did that with 




If you've been blogging for years, has your reviewing style changed?  Do you think that other people have changed the way the write reviews (not to mention platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, YouTube or Tik Toc?) Has what you like to see in a review changed?  

Hope everyone has a great week and I'll be around to see what you are reading and reviewing. 






9 comments:

  1. I go back and forth with my book reviews - I like the idea of blogging through a book but then I don't know if I'd have the time. Often my Goodreads summaries are: "Pretty good book." And that's that! lol My weekly update is here: http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2022/09/book-date-monday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your ideas for blogging instead of reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting new style for reviewing. I stick to the basics and have for years. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will need to check out your new format. It sounds fascinating. When I first started my blog--especially if it was a long book or one I felt needed a deeper dive--I would discuss it, sometimes in multiple posts. I don't have as much blogging time these days, so I don't always do that. I offer a First Chapter Review at my blog where I read the first chapter and provide my thoughts on the cover art, the first chapter, and state whether or not I will continue. That frees me up to DNF a book if I want.

    Definitely love to see vlogging and reviews on other social media platforms to get quick tidbits.

    Hope you have a great blogging and reading week.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2022/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_0834401775.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I review books the same way I always did. I read, review and go onto the next one. Sometimes I don't even feel like reviewing, but I do it anyway. I'm a creature of habit :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new review format sounds good. Enjoy your week and your books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually remember reading your Closer to Okay post. It is an interesting way to blog and review simultaneously. Maybe if I was more of a natural writer, this wouldn't sound so hard to me, but I love what you did. My reviews have changed in that they are less structured. I used to feel I had to adhere to a certain format, and now, I just let it all pour out. It's been very freeing for me, and I find my reviews are written a lot quicker too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your idea of Blogging Through- seems like a good way to spice up book reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My review style has definitely changed over the years. I used to write long, elaborate reviews for every book and now I just stick to bite-sized reviews for everything. It's nice that you've found a new system that seems to be working!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats