Saturday, December 27, 2008

As Sweet as Christmas


I must not be the only one who likes sweet Christmas stories because I saw plenty of them in the bookstore. Today at the library I picked up one by Debbie Macomber: Where Angels Go.

If you are familiar with Macombers books about Shirley, Goodness and Mercy, who are angels, then this book will like putting on an old robe and slippers--or like fingernails on a chalkboard, depending on whether you like the stories or not. In other words, the names have been changed since last year, but the stories are about the same. The human characters pray, and the angels help answer those prayers. This book is about Beth, a divorcee who spends too much time playing computer games and who is afraid of relationships. Her mother prays she'll find someone in time for Christmas. Beth is surprised about who the someone is, but I'm afraid I was not. The second human is an old man dying of congestive heart failure who wants to make sure his wife's future is arranged before he dies. Finally, we see how the angels deal with a boy's prayer for a dog of his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats