Monday, December 01, 2008

Catholic Carnival 201: Let's Have a Contest

Since I don't have Sarah's knack for photo essays, I'm going to make this version of the carnival an exercise in ballot box stuffing and shameless self-promotion. After reading this week's entries, leave a comment nominating one post as "Post of the Week". It can be your post, or someone else's. Leaving one comment on this post is one vote. If that comment links to a post on your blog promoting this carnival and contest, it is worth two votes. Since the post on your blog can encourage your readers to vote for a particular post (and to post on their blogs supporting that post) it is an opportunity for old-fashioned politics at its best. As far as the shameless self-promotion end, I'll give another vote to anyone who asks for it by posting a comment on one of my posts which has not been a part of the Catholic Carnival (hint: most of the Catholic book reviews have been part of the Carnival) indicating which post you wish to support. This means that any blogger can get three votes for a post (comment on the carnival post, post on his/her blog and comment on other post) plus can encourage others to support his/her choice. I will send the author of the Post of the Week this lovely book about the Rosary (yes, that post was part of a carnival) and of course you can post about your honor on your blog!

Advent seems to be the topic of the week, so let's meet the contestants!

Owen is encouraging everyone to pray for the Holy Souls in Purgatory and invites you to add your loved one's names to his list.

Elena LaVictoire presents Tis the Season - Advent! Mega Links posted at My Domestic Church.

Steve is a fellow book blogger and has a review of a first book in what looks to be an amazing series of Catholic Science Fiction books. Steve also posts about the Knights of Columbus Book Club.

Teresa posts about a favorite priest.

Rosemarie posts about remaining vigilant in prayer and remembering the religious who keep vigil on our behalf and for the needs of the world. Her blog focuses on Carmelite spirituality.

David at Apostolate of the Laity posts on the Triumph of God, noting that one should not despair that this world is an evil place. The world is good, and that good has incredible power over evil. For while good and evil are opposites, they are not equal in weight.

Deanna posts about her plans for Advent, which focus on the penitential aspect of the season.

The Real Life Rosary Weblog has some practical ideas about how to keep Christ the focus of Advent and Christmas.

Prepare for Mass helps us prepare for the Second Sunday in Advent.

Quantum Theology posts on God's Grandeur in the City saying We celebrate Christ the King in a major key, with trumpets and soaring hymns. The Gospel of Matthew draws us back to Christ the King in a minor key - among those who are least in anyone else's kingdom.

Evann at Homeschool Goodies posts on Christmas in St. Charles saying they have one of the largest Christmas festivals in the country.

Catholic Journeyman writes about Ecumenical Progression saying "Countering the often mis-applied motive for Apologetics, we are called through our Magisterium and through Christ's teaching to approach other Christians from established Ecumenical common ground."

The HMS Blog has a reflection on the readings for the First Sunday in Advent

A Catholic View tells us that Planned Parenthood has reached a new low, using the Birth of Christ to sell abortion and birth control.

Catholic Fire tells us everything we need to know to keep Advent holy. She has mega-links to Advent resources.

A Catholic Life reflects on the Immaculate Conception.

Catholic Land considers what Jesus would do for Catholics who voted for Obama

Sarah sends a letter to her husband celebrating five years of marriage.

Contrariwise tells of an encounter with the Real Presence of Jesus

Lectio from a Monastery Chapel encourages us to use Advent to discover what Jesus wants from us.

So which is your favorite (and feel free to say yours is!) Leave a comment to get a vote. Votes will be counted December 8. Good luck to all!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting this week's Catholic Carnival and for including my entry for the sake of the souls in Purgatory during my Month for the Souls in Purgatory prayer initiative.

    It seems vain somehow to vote for my own blog but I am doing it for the sake of the souls to draw attention to their need for our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for Lectio from a Monastery Chapel--

    He really does the most haunting reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done ... thanks for including me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is genius, pure genius!

    I too vote for Owen. :)

    Thanks for hosting, and I can't wait to see how this all turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all about getting all three of my votes, and in that last one, I hadn't yet written my own promotional post, so here it is. :)

    Did I mention I'm voting for Owen? :)

    And no, I'm not getting anything under the table (though maybe he'll pray for me if I have to spend time in Purgatory!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting - and what a wonderful job!

    I am voting for Owen - and praying with him too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for Lectio from a Monastery Chapel, most excellent post and very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:04 PM

    Yes indeed, this was genius!
    Sooo many inspiring posts from which to choose!! My vote goes to Sarah for her letter to her man. It was nice to see a fellow husband getting affirmed in that creative way.

    Thank you for the fine hosting job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for Steve & his book review--I look forward to hearing about book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for Owen...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:01 PM

    Oh a contest--what an inspired idea. I'll go with Sarah's post for tenderly giving an example of God working in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:05 PM

    I vote for Owen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Owen! Owen! Owen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm praying with Owen and voting for him too. God bless you Owen and RAnn for the excellent ideas--so wonderful to see blogging put to such good uses!

    And please dear souls from Purgatory, pray for me when you get to Heaven!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats