Thursday, July 02, 2009

Ransome's Honor: My Review


If you are looking for a good clean romance, and don't mind a tiny bit of religion thrown in, I recommend Ransome's Honor. Set in the early 1800's in England, the book opens with the heroine, Julia, watching her beau, William Ransome, go and speak to her father, who she knows adores William. She knows this is the night she will become engaged to him--only it doesn't happen. He believes he doesn't have enough money to be worthy of her. She is furious and returns to her home on a sugar plantation in Jamaica. Twelve years later she is in England again, and William is in port. William's best friend is her best friend's husband so they see each other. In the meantime, unscrupulous relatives plot to marry her off to a man who needs her money. Will they succeed? Ok, so the outcome was never really in doubt, but it was a good story.

As noted in my opening, this is Christian fiction, but definitely on the lighter end of the spectrum. The characters pray periodically and go to church, but the prayers are short, and we don't get treated to pages of sermons. No one has to find God before they get together. Another Christian aspect of the book is that Julia and her brother convinced her parents to free the slaves on the plantation--and in doing so made the plantation more profitable.

In short, while this was a pretty formula romance, it was a fun read. First Wildcard will tour this book July 10. Check back then to read the first chapter.

2 comments:

  1. Happy to hear this is a good book, I won it on Kaye's blog a few weeks ago so I'll have to move it to the top of my TBR stack when I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. I'll be starting this one in a day or so.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats