Saturday, March 06, 2010

The Lumby Lines: My Review

The Lumby LinesI don't know about you, but I love the cover of this book.  It just seems so cozy, so welcoming, so, well, small town.  The Lumby Lines is set in Lumby, a small town in the Northwest.  A vacationing couple discovers the remains of an abandoned abbey and decides to move to Lumby and to restore the abbey as a bed and breakfast.  In the process they meet and interact with the townspeople, including the monks, who moved to another abbey not far away.

I read one review that compare this series (this is the first of four books available now, and other is due to be published in July) to the Mitford books, and I can see the similarities.  Both are set in small towns, both are far  more about the characters than the plot, both move slowly, both have happy endings.  The only problem with this book is that there were far too many characters and no real depth to any of them.  Having finished the book I really don't feel I know any of them any better than I did when I started it, and I was still having trouble keeping everyone straight even toward the end of the book.  Still, I enjoyed reading it, and if  you are a fan of series books with large ensembles of characters (like the Mitford books, or Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove book) I think you might like this one.

Grade B-

5 comments:

  1. I love the cover. If you think I'd like the book throw it in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:15 AM

    I saw this series on Amazon and it looked good. My library does not carry them, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must agree...I love the cover too. I am shallow...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried. I really did. I couldn't even finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of all your templates so far Ruth, this one is my favorite! It really suits this blog!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats