Saturday, May 19, 2012

Catholic Company Book Review: Eucharist Adoration Reflections in the Franciscan Tradition



About the Book:
Each of the fifty-two reflections in this book follows the advice of St. Clare to:
  • Gaze upon Christ, with a quote from Francis or Clare
  • Consider Christ, with a meditation from the Franciscan tradition
  • Contemplate Christ, with new prayers
  • Imitate Christ, by responding to a personal challenge
My Comments:
I've taken this book with me to adoration the last couple of weeks and I guess I'd classify it as about average.  For those with a special devotion to St. Francis or St. Clare, perhaps it would be better than average, but in any case, I don't mean average in a bad way; rather I mean it does what the title implies-it gives you reflection with which to start (or continue a period of Eucharistic Adoration.  It is just that none of the reflections have seemed extraordinary to me.  

It is written by the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, a community based in Lacrosse Wisconsin.  It is the community that used to staff the parish in my mother's hometown.  Each reflection is labeled with the name of the author, either a FSPA sister, or associate or prayer partner.  To assure full disclosure, two of the sisters are relatives of mine (nope, never met either one and without pulling out my father's genealogy charts, I couldn't tell you how exactly they are related though I'd guess they are first or second cousins of my mother.  The community has had  perpetual adoration since 1878.   

Each reflection is divided into four parts, to follow St.Clare's instructions to gaze, consider, contemplate and imitate Christ.  The "Gaze" section of each reflection generally quotes something by St. Francis or St. Clare. For example, one of giving thanks for God's Goodness says "You may totally love Him [Christ] Who gave Himself totally for your love".  The "Consider" section talks about things for which we can be thankful.  The "Contemplate" section is a prayer of thanks and the "Imitate" section says to give thanks for God's great love and care, for the beauty of the world and for God's goodness.  

Grade: B.
This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Eucharistic Adoration Reflections in the Franciscan Tradition. This is also a great online Catholic store for all your religious shopping needs, such as gifts for Confirmation and gifts for a baby baptism.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats