|St. Louis Cathedral, New Orleans, LA|
I was looking at Jennifer's blog and noticed her link-up about the religious climate in your area and I decided to play:
1. WHERE DO YOU LIVE? I live in suburban New Orleans, Louisiana.
2. WHAT IS CHURCH ATTENDANCE LIKE? Not as common as it used to be, but certainly not unusual. UPDATE, Sat. afternoon. I am working on a high-profile case that will be tried in front of a jury. As part of that process over 160 potential jurors were asked to complete an extensive questionnaire that, among other things asked if/how often they attended a house of worship, which one, and whether they consider themselves to be devoutly religious. I have to admit I've been surprised. While it is not one of the topics I am charting on this run through the forms, my gut feeling is that less than 20% of the people attend church regularly and/or consider themselves devout. Well over half never attend. Now, of those who do, I'd say Catholics have a slight majority, but not by much. Sample size so far, 39.
3. ARE THERE MANY CHURCHES? Yes,
4. HOW APPROPRIATE WOULD IT BE FOR A PERSON TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT HE OR SHE IS A BELIEVING CHRISTIAN IN CASUAL CONVERSATION? No problem at all.
5. WHAT KIND OF FAITH DO THE POLITICIANS CLAIM TO PRACTICE? Most are at least nominally Catholic, though many African-Americans are not.
6. HOW COMMON WOULD IT BE TO SEE A FAMILY WITH MORE THAN THREE KIDS? Not very.
7. WHAT ARE THE ATTITUDES TOWARD FAMILY SIZE? If the Pope wants to pay my tuition bills then he can tell me how many kids to have.
6. WHAT WAS THE DOMINANT BELIEF SYSTEM IN YOUR AREA 50 YEARS AGO? WHAT IS IT NOW? Catholic 50 years ago; Catholic now, but not as strongly. Outsiders have moved in and Catholics have converted to other faiths.
7. DO THE PEOPLE WHERE YOU LIVE SEEM HAPPY WITH THEIR LIVES? I think so. - See more at: http://www.conversiondiary.com/2013/10/what-is-the-religious-climate-in-your-part-of-the-world.html#sthash.QqVGgQE5.dpuf