Thursday, February 06, 2014

I Didn't Start Off as a Book Blogger

I was perusing my archives tonight, particularly those from the early days of my blog (maybe it's that Throwback Thursday thing).  While at this point I'd definitely identify myself as a book blogger, it is not what I set out to do when I started this blog.  I did not used to write as often as I do now, but I wrote more about my family, especially about struggles we were having with my son.  Those were the years during which a lot of my hopes and dreams for him were re-oriented.  His differences from other kids were becoming more and more obvious and more and more problematic and writing about them here helped.

While I review a lot of Catholic books and host Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival, I don't really write that much about spirituality except in the context of book reviews--but I used to.  I lost a lot of weight in 2007 and blogged my way through it, including the spiritual aspects.

Reading those old post has made me consider writing more like them again.  I have started trying to add a personal touch to my Sunday Snippets posts, and I have always tried to make my book reviews unique by using them (to the extent possible) as springboards to discuss things other than just the book.  However, I've been reading a lot of light nonsense lately so those posts have been few and far between.

I titled my blog "This That and the Other Thing" because when I started it I had no real focus.  I enjoy going back and reading reviews of books I read years ago, but the posts I really enjoy reading are those about my family, my faith, my take on current events--in other words, my original writing.  I'm going to try to get back to doing more of that.

1 comment:


View My Stats