Friday, May 30, 2008

The Good Old Days

My son is taking driver's ed now. It is taught by the public schools but it is an outside school hours, tuition program. Right now they are in the classroom phase and he is failing. The teacher called me tonite, and after telling me what the problem was (he's not doing the assignments or studying, despite having all day off) told me that his mother-in-law, the principal of my son's elementary, told him to tell me hi, and that I'd take care of the problem. Back then I was very successful at solving his problems, at making him do what he needed to do. It just seems that the last couple of years I haven't been able to do that.

Since I'm going to be home to enforce it tomorrow, I just told him there would be no boxes (tv, computer etc) until the packet was done and done right. Then I guess we'll have to study it. I'm going to make his sister his study partner next week--it will give her a head start when her turn comes and I have a feeling she's more motiviated than he is anyway. Maybe I can get the old magic back.

2 comments:

  1. Drats, I would think getting a driver's license would be motivation for just about any kid to study... drats drats drats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:22 PM

    You can do it! You still have the magic. I am learning that the older my kids get, the harder it is to help them. It's them wanting to be helped that appears to be the problem.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats