Sunday, September 20, 2009

Review: A Sportscaster's Guide to Watching Football



All is right with the world. The Saints beat the Eagles today and so are 2-0. LSU beat ULL. The coffee room chatter tomorrow will be happy, not colored with too many expletives. If you live in New Orleans, Mark Oristano's A Sportscaster's Guide to Watching Football: Decoding America's Favorite Game probably isn't the book for you. We live, eat and breathe football, whether played on the local playground by elementary school kids or in the Superdome by our local heros. However, I realize that not everyone lives in a great place like this (and there might even be a few here who don't really understand what is happening on that TV that is the centerpiece of weekend gatherings from September through January). It is for those people that this book is written. It is an informative an humorous guide to what is happening on the football field. He describes each position in a way that is both funny and informative. For example, about the quarterback, he writes that the qb is the highest paid guy on the team, that he has to be able to throw the ball very fast and that he shouldn't date starlets. Oristano describes basic formations, rules and strategy. He also adds a little NFL trivia.


I'd like to thank the nice folks at Phenix & Phenix for sending me this book.

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to put my 2 cents in please ~ UGA beat UA 51-42 ~ yipeeee!! GO DAWGS!!

    Hey Ruth ~ I was stopping by to drop off an award for you, but couldn't resist commenting about my DAWGS! LOL

    You can pick up your award here:

    http://someofmyfavoritebooks.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-first-award-on-my-new-blog.html

    Thanks ~ Lori :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your review!! :) I just received this book, and have thumbed through it - I really enjoyed the humorous stories and neat facts. Gonna start reading it for review shortly. :)

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may need to buy this! My husband loves football, but I don't know anything about it... this sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats