As a parent I am always looking to add to my bag of tricks. Parenting is a Contact Sport, but psychotherapist Joanne Stern, PhD has some good ideas. Her overall idea is that building a relationship, a friendship with our kids is the foundation of parenting. As parents we have to realize that we have very ability to control our kids' behavior; but a good relationship allows us to influence it a lot. Good relationships are built on good communication.
I enjoyed the book. Dr. Stern is not only writing as a professional, but also as a mom who has walked the walk. She admits that her parenting wasn't perfect, but shares what did work. She has anecdotes about her life and her kids throughout the book. Chapters include:
- Developing a Relationship with Your Kids
- Learning How to Communicate
- Approaching Discipline through Relationship
- Dealing with Feelings in Your Family
- Giving your Kids a Sense of Belonging
- Fostering a Family Culture of Honesty
- Teaching Your Kids about Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll
- Boosting Your Kids Self Esteem
You can get more information about the book, and read the first chapter on their website.