Tuesday, October 13, 2009

When Everything Changed--Some Thoughts


I received an interesting book from Hatchette last week. When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present I'm not done reading it, and when I do I'll have a full review, but I wanted to share a couple of things I read. The author is Gail Collins, a NY Times Op-Ed Columnist. I've never heard of her, but my husband, a regular reader of (and complainer about) the editorial page, referred to her as a "lying liberal B---" (no he's not sexist, he just uses a different B word to describe male NY Times columnists). The book obviously has a pro-feminist slant to it, but this conservative Catholic found a couple of things that made her nod with agreement. In discussing the sexual revolution, Collins quotes Robin Morgan who said "The invention of of the Pill made millions for the drug companies, made guinea pigs of us, and made us all the more 'available' as sex objects. If a woman didn't want to go to bed with a man now she must be hung up". Sounds like something some Pope wrote...

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats