Saturday, December 01, 2012

Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival



Hello, and welcome to Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. We are a group of Catholic bloggers who gather weekly to share our best posts with each other. To participate, go to your blog and create a post titled Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. In it, discuss and link to your posts for the week--whether they deal with theology, Catholic living or cute Catholic kids. I'm mostly a book blogger so my posts are generally book reviews, some Catholic, some not. Make sure that post links back here. Once you publish it, come back here and leave a link below.

We also have a yahoogroup; signing up for it will get you one weekly reminder to post.  Click here to sign up.

Only one post this week. I reviewed a Catholic romance novel, which was recommended by Sunday Snippets regular Ellen Gable Hrkach.  The title is is Angela's Song and the hero is a 50ish bachelor; the heroine a widow with three kids.  Question for those who read religious fiction or fiction with religious themes:  How much is too much?  In a book not explicitly about a character's religious life/conversion, how much religious content is too much?  Do you prefer books with subtle themes or those which explicitly try to make their point?  Do you like to read sermons or lessons in your fiction?   

I'm going to link to a few old posts that may be of interest, though I will tell you that I haven't taken a look at them  lately and have no idea if the links are still current:
Advent for Families with Children, Keep Christ in Christmas Activities,  and  Celebrate Epiphany

Also, don't forget my giveaway of the Pope's recent book.  Jesus of Nazareth, The Infancy Narrative.  I got my book this week and I'm enoying it.  Giveaway ends Sunday night.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting, RAnn!
    This week I have two homilies from EWTN, the Thanksgiving Day episode of Life on the Rock, a disturbing article about babies born alive after being aborted, a post about two books with the same title, a post about using an appropriate reading device, and, of course, my weekly book list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thank you for hosting RAnn. This week flew by but I did get to post a bit. Hope everyone it ready for Advent, a good time to begin anew and prepare ye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I FIXED THE LINKS on my post- I had two http:/'s when I created the link. I am still rather dense when it comes to computers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi RAnn. In answer to your questions, I like subtle themes in religious fiction. Lessons are better than sermons for me. If religious content advances the story line it's good, but if it's just there for it's own sake, then I wouldn't find it as interesting. I'm thinking here of some of the great movies and Korean dramas I've seen where the scriptwriters have done a masterful job of including religious content as in the Queen Seondeok series that showed the royalty participating in religious ceremonies. That's just one example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I attended the Pontifical Solemn High Mass (TLM) Tuesday evening celebrated by +O'Connell in Trenton and televised live on EWTN. I wrote a post on that.

    Thank you for hosting, RAnn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This week, Music Monday is Gabrielle's Message as well as a link to Virtual Abbey's Advent playlist. I also have a post highlighting some Advent resources around the web.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To answer your question--that's a tricky balance, and I think it probably has more to do with the "voice" and with how natural it feels, as opposed to feeling like preaching. If it doesn't feel like I'm being preached at, I can handle more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Posts this week include the embarrassing division within the body of Christ as revealed by atheist Bertrand Russell and the International Baccalaureate's limited reasons for studying languages. All that and more!

    Thanks to RAnn for hosting, and thanks to all the readers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks RAnn..oh and Happy New year!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to read some good fiction that espouses the values that I would hope that I passed on. That is difficult to find.
    Keeping love chaste until marriage is considered unsaleable.
    What will my grandchildren read? The one now can hardly turn on a movie that does not have people sleeping together or the "accepted alternative" family. AGGGG!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats