Sunday, July 11, 2010

Touching the Clouds: My Review

Touching the Clouds: A Novel (Alaskan Skies)Some days you are in the mood for a book with an involved plot, lots of interesting characters, and language that practically sounds like poetry.  Other days a good story with a few strong characters, and interesting setting and a fun but somewhat predictable plot fills the bill perfectly.  Touching the Clouds: A Novel (Alaskan Skies) is the second type of book.  It  is a fun read and the Alaskan bush country during the 1930's is a setting that allows this book to move out of the typical romance mode (though it has romantic elements).

Kate was a pilot, in the days before that was what girls did.  She rejected the guy next door, the close family and personal friend, as well as the conventional life he offered; choosing instead to head, by herself, with only her airplane, to Alaska.  While there she meets and begins relationships with two men--one is a co-worker, nice, steady, kind, reliable....and the other is a guy to whom she delivers--and he obviously has a past with issues (but then so does Kate).

The book is Christian fiction.  Kate's grandmother's Bible goes with her to Alaska and she reads it a few times.  She prays when in trouble.  Paul has rejected God because of tragedy in life.  It is  basically a clean romance/adventure with a little religion pasted on top--the faith lives of the characters are not a major part of the story nor is faith a primary mover for their actions.

The book was a great pool read and I recommend it.  Grade:  B+

Thanks to Donna Hausler and the Baker Publishing Group for providing  a complimentary review copy of Touching the Clouds: A Novel (Alaskan Skies)

4 comments:

  1. Hey! No wonder that name, Bonnie Leon, sounded so familiar! I own 3 of her books, LOL! I have The Matanuska Series. I loved them! I haven't read anything by her recently, maybe I should re-check her out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! No wonder that name, Bonnie Leon, sounded so familiar! I own 3 of her books, LOL! I have The Matanuska Series. I loved them! I haven't read anything by her recently, maybe I should re-check her out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really good book! This is a new author for me, but I will be sure to check out her work after reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats