Friday, March 22, 2013

The Love Shack: My Review



About the Book:
Globe-trotting photojournalist Gage Lowell spent carefree childhood summers in Crescent Cove. Now that he desperately needs some R & R, he books a vacation at Beach House No. 9—ready to soak up some sun and surprise old friend and property manager Skye Alexander. Their long-distance letters got him through a dangerous time he can’t otherwise talk about. But when he arrives, the tightly wound beauty isn’t exactly happy to see him.

Skye knows any red-blooded woman would be thrilled to spend time with gorgeous, sexy Gage. But she harbors secrets of her own, including that she might just be a little bit in love with him. And she’s convinced the restless wanderer won’t stay long enough for her to dare share her past—or dream of a future together. Luckily for them both, summer at Crescent Cove has a way of making the impossible happen…

My Comments:
I really enjoyed this story, but could have lived with far fewer intimate scenes and far less description of them.  The story focuses on two couples.  Both have been friends for a very long time, but only friends, and during the course of this book...

Gage and Skye have each recently experienced trauma.  While he sets out to help her heal, she does not know what he went through. The members of the other couple have let fear of abandonment keep them from taking the next step.  Will they finally move beyond being "just friends"?  

It is part of a series and the couples from other books make appearances but the cast is not so big or convoluted that it is hard to follow if you haven't read the other books.  Grade: B (would have been B+ if less explicit .  

I'd like to thank the publisher for making a review copy available via NetGalley.  

4 comments:

  1. Ha! As soon as I saw the photo of the houses I thought of Crystal Cove in California...then read down to "Crescent Cove." Can't say much about the fictional Cove, but the real one has a charming and very human history which is affectionately told here in prose, paintings, and photos:

    http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Cove-Cottages-Islands-California/dp/0811847683/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364137569&sr=1-2&keywords=Crystal+Cove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit Christian that this is one post I never expected to see you commenting on.

      Delete
  2. I usually read the reviews even when I don't comment...I bought the Crystal Cove book today used on Amazon thanks to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IIRC, some of the kids who went to Crystal Cove each year grew up and got married. I'm curious now about LoveShack's author, Christie Ridgway; if I learn anything germane about her I'll post it.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats