Saturday, March 02, 2013

Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival


Hello, and welcome to Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. We are a group of Catholic bloggers who gather weekly to share our best posts with each other. To participate, go to your blog and create a post titled Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. In it, discuss and link to your posts for the week--whether they deal with theology, Catholic living or cute Catholic kids. I'm mostly a book blogger so my posts are generally book reviews, some Catholic, some not. Make sure that post links back here. Once you publish it, come back here and leave a link below.

We also have a yahoogroup; signing up for it will get you one weekly reminder to post.  Click here to sign up.

Well, it's been quite a week.  A week ago tonight I was at my Dad's house with my family, visiting with a cousin I haven't seen since I was a senior in high school.  It is amazing how much he's changed in ?? years.  Still it was fun seeing him and catching up on his siblings.  One neat thing about the internet/facebook is that it makes it easy to keep up with a lot of people.  

The middle of the week brought sorrow.  A young man whose family has been close to mine had surgery for a brain tumor.  At first everyone was hopeful, however the next facebook messages announced his death.  Please pray for R's soul and for comfort for the P family.

This weekend was a high.  My daughter has selected Northwestern State University of Louisiana as her college.  This weekend was Senior Day; their big recruiting effort.  There were about 400 kids there today; about 30, including my daughter were invited to a reception at the President's house last night.  We had our picture taken with President Webb, chatted with other top students and staff.  Today my daughter got a chance to take tests to bypass a couple of freshman class.  We'll find out in a couple of weeks whether she passed or not.  She also participated in an application session for their freshman leadership program, which, if she gets in, will add another small scholarship to her list.  

So what about blogging?  Several pre-written posts published this week, so even though my reading/blogging time has been limited, it looks like I spent a lot of time on it this week.  My reviews were:
The Chance:  Christian fiction about old loves who promised to meet again
Three Sisters:  Women's fiction about the lives and loves of three neighbors
David Sticker Book:  About King David 

13 comments:

  1. Congrats to your daughter,a big step. We'll pray for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. We are real proud of our daughter!

      Delete
  2. Haha - I'm glad to hear those were pre-written posts! I was insanely impressed with how much you had gotten done when I saw all your reviews :) This week I posted about how to make Via Dolorosa (free printable) trivia (aka: Stations of the Cross).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally read/review 2-4 books per week. A lot of them are galleys or tour books for which I have been asked to hold reviews until close to publication date or for a tour date. It can mean weeks when I'm busy reading and blogging have few posts and weeks when I' busy with life having many posts. In the end though...

      Delete
  3. Super congratulations to your daughter and to her proud and deserving mother as well. Big smiles! Enjoy the fruits of love and labor.

    As always, thank you RAnn for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting, RAnn! Congratulations to your daughter. I'm praying for R and for his loved ones.
    This week's posts are about the Pope's departure, my collections, my fan
    fiction, and, of course, my weekly book list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. College days are a-coming! Congrats on your daughter's decision and good luck with the exam results.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to dd - how exciting. I remember the fun of having the first go off to college and now she's counting down the days to graduation and hunting for a job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be praying for R and his family. It seems especially hard when a young family member dies. Congratulations to you and your daughter. She sounds like just the kind of young Catholic lady with a lot of promise that we need in the world today. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi everyone hope you had a great weekend! I have a reflection about the parable of the sower this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to your daughter - it's wise that you recognize what a big deal being invited to the university president's house is. I was invited to mine twice, once for academics and once for athletics, and didn't appreciate either one!

    My post this week is about a dream I had with post-pope Benedict.

    General question for all your readers: my priest omitted Benedict's name completely from the Te igitur in the Roman Canon. Anyone else? We pray for our retired ordinary, why not the pope emeritus?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to both you and your daughter! And condolences to R's family. Requiem aeternam dona ei Domine et lux perpetua luceat ei.

    In Outside the Asylum, my two big efforts were a reflection over whether Papa Bene's resignation has made the Papacy "just a job" and a think piece on the healthcare system's ongoing rape of the American wallet. Also, in The Impractical Catholic I have a longish pre-conclave ramble. Thanks again, RAnn, for hosting this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting, RAnn. Congratulations to your daughter. She must be pretty excited about starting college soon! This week, I wrote about the Sportferien in Switzerland, and my daily routine with the kids.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats