Saturday, November 29, 2008

Faith n Fiction Saturday


Amy is again hosting Faith n Fiction Saturday. Her question this week:

Today's question is: As you may know, I launched a campaign to encourage people to buy books for the holidays (you can visit that site here) and there are some fantastic blogger who have really contributed a lot of great ideas into the blog. I hope you check it out.But now it's your turn to share some ideas! What books should be others be buying for Christmas? Do you need any gift help? You can handle this topic in two ways....either make a list of recommended books to give as gifts this year OR ask a question about what book you should get someone. (for whom you have been unable to think of a book gift for).Keep it about books!

My answer:

I almost always buy books for Christmas. I don't tend to buy novels, unless someone specifically asks for one for a couple of reasons. First, for me, most novels are a one-time read, and I'd rather give people something they'll keep around for a while. Secondly, for me, novels are a like it or hate it thing, and I'd hate to waste money buying something that the receipient doesn't get to enjoy.

I am reading a book now, The Apostles by Pope Benedict XVI (check back in the next week or so for a full review) that is the type of book I look for. It is beautiful (if you click the title it will take you to a page where you can see some of the illustrations), and illustrated with great works of art. I'd buy this book for someone for whom faith was important, or someone who liked art. It is a "coffee table" type book but has substantial content. Basically the Pope takes each of the twelve apostles and summarizes what we know about them from scripture (which is cited), non-scriptural writings and tradition. With a book like this, I figure that even if the recipient doesn't like the writing style or topic of the book, it is pretty to look at.

I always buy my kids books for Christmas. This year my four year old is getting God Bless the Moon which Thomas Nelson Publishers was kind enough to send me. My thirteen year old wanted the Twilight books, so she is getting three of them. I'm still debating about whether to give her Me Myself and I Am. Read this post and give me your opinion.

For people at work I buy books about favorite sports or teams, cookbooks, or "Chicken-Soup"-type heartwarming stories.

5 comments:

  1. I give books as well. I am at a loss as to a book for my sil. Not a Catholic- yet- I was thinking of Seven Story Mountain or that book about a Russian Saint. I need a title for a good reader who loves Russian history. Any ideas? Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your family and friends are fortunate to have you buy them things (books) that they'll enjoy. Happy Faith n Fiction Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:42 PM

    I'd be interested in your review of The Apostle. I also buy books for Christmas gifts. I'm asking for suggestions for boys ages 10 & 8 at my post. Also some book suggestions of my own.

    http://tinyurl.com/5tvq93

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of my family is getting books for Christmas also. I hope they enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to see if I can find God Bless the Moon!

    My post is a little late, but here is my
    answer
    !

    :) Wendi

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats