Saturday, November 01, 2008

My Review: The Church as a Safe Place

I got this book the same day I was going to teach the yearly "safe environment" lesson to my religon class. We have to teach this every year using materials supplied by the archdiocese, and for third graders its basically that you are made in the image of God and that what is under your bathing suit is private and shouldn't be touched by others except the doctor or sometimes your parents--and that you need to tell someone if it happens to you.

I was curious what these Protestants had to say about what is often seen as a Catholic issue. They basically said that all churches have the potential to be abusive, not only sexually but verbally, emotionally, physically and spiritually. They tell some stories and show how this abuse, some of which I'd guess the abuser didn't even consider abusive. They end the chapters with discussion questions. It wasn't what I expected, but it covered the topic rather thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats