Saturday, January 22, 2011

Catholic Company Book Review: The Power of the Sacraments



Catholic children used to be taught, via the Baltimore Catechism, that "a Sacrament is an outward sign instituted by Christ to give grace". In The Power of the Sacraments Sister Briege McKenna talks about the sacraments as being food for our spiritual life.  She takes each of the seven sacraments, talks about it being an encounter with God and gives examples of how that sacrament made a difference in someone's life.  I love the way the book is filled with stories of real people touched by the power of God.  

The Power of the Sacraments is a short book; I read it in less than an hour, but if you are wondering what the sacraments should mean for your daily life, I recommend it.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on The Power of the Sacraments. They are also a great source for serenity prayer and baptism gifts.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard Sister Briege McKenna speak a couple of times she was fantastic. I'm going to have to add this to my ever-growing wish-list of books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Briege McKenna has such a powerful ministry. I'm sure the Holy Spirit will use The Power of the Sacraments to bless many people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RAnn, here you're the one who was so kind to give me the info on how to write reviews for The Catholic Company and I end up choosing the same book as above as my first review! Sr. Briege's name is what I drew me since I was somewhat familiar with her story.

    Thank you again for leading me to this fun opportunity!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats