Friday, January 14, 2011

Code Blue: My Review

Code Blue (Prescription for Trouble Series #1)


My New Year's resolution was to lose weight.  Unfortunately I prefer sweets and reading to veggies and exercise.  However, at least right now, I've come up with a liveable compromise.  I have a stack of books sent to me by a friend.  They are in the garage, right next to the treadmill.  I've discovered that if I walk at a slow to moderate pace I can keep my balance and read at the same time.  I've decided that the books in that stack are treadmill books and I can only read them there.  Code Blue required me to spend quite a good bit of time on the treadmill the last few days.  

About the Book:  
In the first book of the Prescription for Trouble series, Code Blue means more to Dr. Cathy Sewell than the cardiac emergency she has to face. It describes her mental state as she finds that coming back to her hometown hasn t brought her the peace she so desperately needs. Instead, it s clear that someone there wants her gone...or dead. 

Cathy returns to her hometown seeking healing after a broken relationship, but discovers that among her friends and acquaintances is someone who wants her out of town...or dead. Lawyer Will Kennedy, her high school sweetheart, offers help, but does it carry a price tag? Is hospital chief of staff Dr. Marcus Bell really on her side in her fight to get hospital privileges? Is Will s father, Pastor Matthew Kennedy, interested in advising her or just trying to get her back to the church she left years ago? When one of Cathy s prescriptions almost kills the town banker, it sets the stage for a malpractice suit that could end her time in town, if not her career. It s soon clear that this return home was a prescription for trouble.

My Thoughts:  
This is a well-written medical-legal thriller with a romantic subplot.  It is Christian fiction, and there are a few mentions of God, faith, and God's will, but unless anything religious instantly turns you off, the religious elements shouldn't make or break whether you like the book.  Since the author is a doctor, I assume the medical parts are reasonably accurate; however the legal elements are a little inaccurate.  The medical malpractice suit was set for trial twelve weeks after it was served.  In real life, discovery would barely have begun by that point.  Still, the book kept me reading despite the fact that I had to walk on a treadmill to do so.  

1 comment:

  1. Your garage must be warmer... because even Scott refused to use the treadmill this morning. But soon I'll have a spare bedroom so the treadmill can come insidde

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats