Thursday, May 05, 2011

Cookbook Review: Heartland

Heartland: The Cookbook

About the Book:
Although much of the nation is only beginning to embrace the farm-to-table movement, residents of the Midwest have been living off the bounty of the land since the pioneer days. Judith Fertig's Heartland melds contemporary cooking with an authentic and appreciative approach to the land, presenting 150 recipes for farm-bounty fare with a modern twist. With a focus on ethnic food traditions as well as seasonal and local flavors of artisan producers, heirloom ingredients, and heritage meats, Heartland embraces the spirit and flavors of the modern farmhouse. Inside, offerings such as Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blackberry Syrup, No-Knead Caraway Rye Bread, and Brew Pub Planked Cheeses commingle with recipes such as Wild Rice Soup with Flyover Duck Comfit, Heartland Daube with White Cheddar Polenta, and Italian Fig Cookies.

In addition to the mouthwatering recipes and time-proven wisdom, Heartland includes an ample mix of humorous storytelling, literary and cooking references, and lush full-color landscape and food photography that showcases the heart of American cooking from the nation's heartland.

My Comments:
I'm homesick.  Though most of my childhood was spent in Mississippi and my adult life has been in New Orleans, I'm a Wisconsin girl at heart--or at least by heritage.  My parents were from opposite side of the state and my dad was raised  primarily in North Dakota,but when I think hometown, cousins, and heritage, I think of Durand, a small farm community in western Wisconsin and the pictures in this book make me want to go "hone".  This is one of those cookbooks that would be as at home on the coffee table as in the kitchen.  It is filled with full-color photos of mid western farms, lakes, fields,barns, and more.

As far as the recipes go, I'll admit they don't remind me much of what Grandma used to make,but some do look interesting.  Follow the Amazon link above and you can review the Table of Contents and see a recipe or two for yourself.  Enjoy.  Grade:  B

I'd like to thank the author for making a review copy available via Net Galley.  I love reading novels via NetGalley but I wish I had a  hard copy of this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats