Sunday, May 22, 2011

Monday Memes

Mailbox Monday is hosted this month by MariReads and is where book bloggers gather to share what showed up in their mailboxes this week, whether those mailboxes received email or snail mail.

Snail Mail: 
A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of EstherSee the story of Esther in an entirely new way-with all the political intrigue and tension you remember, but told as a passionate and tender love story between a young man and woman. Misunderstood by many, King Xerxes was a powerful but lonely man. Esther's beauty caught the eye of the young king, but it was her spirit that captured his heart.
Imagine anew the story of Esther, one of our faith's great heroines, destined to play a key role in the history of Christianity.  




Home and Away: A Story of Family in a Time of WarDavid French picked up the newspaper in the comfort of his penthouse in Philadelphia, and read about a soldier - father of two - who was wounded in Iraq. Immediately, he was stricken with a question: Why him and not me?
This is the story of what happens when a person - rather a family - answers the call to serve their nation. David was a 37-year-old father of two, a Harvard Law graduate and president of a free speech organization. In other words, he was used to pushing pencils, not toting M16s.
His wife Nancy was raising two children and writing from home. She was worrying about field trips and playdates, not about her husband going to war.
HOME AND AWAY chronicles not just a soldier at war, but a family at war - a husband in Iraq, a wife and children at home, greeting each day with hope and fear, facing the challenge with determination, tears, and more than a little joy.


Chasing Sunsets: A Cedar Key Novel (Return to Cedar Key)Kimberly Tucker's life hasn't turned out the way she thought it would. A divorced mother of two, Kim resents her ex-husband for moving on with his life and living it up while she struggles to understand what went wrong. When her sons end up spending five weeks of summer vacation with their father, Kim's own father suggests a respite in the family vacation home on tiny Cedar Key Island. As Kim revisits her childhood memories and loves, she soon discovers that treasures in life are often buried, and mistakes--both past and present--become redeemable in God's hand.

Readers will be swept away to an island retreat where they walk alongside Kim as she discovers that God's answers may not come easily, but they do come.

The Fine Art of Insincerity: A NovelThree grown Southern sisters have ten marriages between them—and more loom on the horizon—when Ginger, the eldest, wonders if she’s the only one who hasn’t inherited what their family calls “the Grandma Gene”: the tendency to like the casualness of courtship better than the intimacy of marriage. Could it be that her two sisters are fated to serially marry, just like their seven-times wed grandmother, Mrs. Lillian Irene Harper Winslow Goldstein Carey James Bobrinski Gordon George?  It takes a “girls only” weekend, closing up Grandma’s treasured beach house for the last time, for the sisters to really unpack their family baggage, examine their relationship DNA, and discover the true legacy their much-marrying grandmother left behind . . .


NetGalley:  I was good; between lack of reading progress this week and all the snail mail I didn't download any of those I saw and wanted.  Maybe next week.







It's Monday, What Are You Reading is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.  She asks what we read or reviewed this week and what we plan to read next week.

This week I finished:
When the Soul Mends (Sisters of the Quilt, Book 3) My Review
Two Kisses for Maddy: A Memoir of Loss & Love My review.

Currently Reading:


My Foolish Heart (Deep Haven) My Foolish Heart (Deep Haven)

Up Next:


Chasing Sunsets: A Cedar Key Novel (Return to Cedar Key)Skyward

Other posts:
I write about Amazon reviews. and about my son's graduation.

15 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the variety in your mailbox! I hope they're all good reads. Re: netgalley - you showed great restraint :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't downloaded any NetGalley books in ages. I hardly ever get them read anyways. I'd just rather wait for my library to get the book.

    I finished ten books this week which actually surprises me because I hardly did any reading during my usual fun reading time. Come see what I finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great week lined up, I love the Reluctant Queen one!

    Please feel free to stop by my Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks a great pile of books. The one about the sisters (your last one) intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some great books on your list.

    Please feel free to drop by my blog,
    http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    Have a nice week..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:14 AM

    I haven't read any of those books but I'm sure you'll have a good time reading them. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great-looking books! Insincerity sounds like one I'd like...and Skyward is on my wish list, as I'm a fan of Mary Alice Monroe.

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't downloaded any new Netgalley books either. I don't usually get to them before they disappear. These look like great reads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great group of books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All new to me and some I need to check out :)

    Have a good reading week

    caorl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reluctant Queen looks good. Love biblical fiction but haven't read one about Esther yet so I may have to check this one out. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:26 AM

    Nice variety of books, enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful mailbox. Happy reading. I received only one book in my mailbox!!

    You did so well. Come, have a look at what I read last week!

    Here is my Monday: Mailbox/What Are You Reading?/Musings post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems like you have a good selection of books-come back for the Anne Frank giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will have to check back for your review on Skyward, I usually love that author. I think I will add it to my list too!


    http://quixoticmagpie.blogspot.com/2011/05/its-monday-what-are-you-reading.html

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats