Saturday, September 10, 2011

Christmas in September: German Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Debbie Macomber's Christmas Cookbook: Favorite Recipes and Holiday Traditions from My Home to Yours


One of the recipes in this book was German Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies.  Since I'm a big German Chocolate fan, I decided to give them a try, so you could try them too.  In the cookbook they are presented as Cookies in a Jar--you know, the ones where you put the dry ingredients in a Mason jar for gift-giving.  .  However, I'm not a fan of cookies in a jar so I just made them, with help from my trusty assistant.

My assistant is ready to get started
Learning to pack brown sugar

One hand on the mixer, the other on the handle of the bowl

All mixed up, ready to put on cookie sheets

Ready to put in the oven

Fresh from the oven
Yum
The cookies were (notice the past tense) good.  I noted a couple of problems with the recipe when reading it over before making the cookies, and used the knowledge I have about baking cookies to make the proper adjustments.  I emailed the publisher who told me that the problem would be corrected on the next printing, and assuring me that the other recipes were correct.

6 comments:

  1. I've never been too fond of oatmeal cookies, but if I made some with german chocolate, I may have to change my mind.

    Looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read and re read this recipe and do not see oatmeal listed as an ingredient.

    Is it me in the process of losing my mind or was it really omitted in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you'll read my review you'll note that I said a major ingredient was omitted, and that ingredient was oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:36 PM

    I thought I was losing my mind as well, and I had someone else read it because of the omission. How much Oatmeal would you put in the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:51 PM

    I,too, would like to know how much oatmeal. Want to make them but don't know how much to add? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I used somewhere between a cup and a cup and a half of oatmeal. I just sort of added it until the dough looked right--I make the Oatmeal Scotchies from the Nestle butterscotch chip bag frequently so I know what oatmeal cookie dough should look like texture-wise. That recipe calls for 1 cup butter and 2 eggs, like Debbie's does. It calls for 1 1/4 cup flour; Debbie's calls for 2 cups. It calls for 3 cups oatmeal, but I think that's too much to use here because you have more flour and also the coconut.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats