Sunday, September 11, 2011

Monday Memes

Mailbox Monday is hosted this month by Amused by Books and is where book bloggers gather to share what showed up in their mailboxes this week, whether those mailboxes received email or snail mail.


Snail Mail:  Not a one.

Via NetGalley:
A People of Hope: Archbishop Timothy Dolan in Conversation with John L. Allen Jr.Unique among the current leadership of the Catholic Church, Archbishop Dolan shares his insightful perspective in this series of conversations on the present and future of Catholicism. In these pages Dolan shares a perspective which is typically not part of the information an average person would know through today’s media. This omission often leaves outsiders with a terribly flawed grasp of what’s actually happening in the Church. Legitimate stories on, for example, abuse and Church authority can’t be dissolved by reactive conspiracy theories about how the media is out to get the Catholic Church. That said, if these scandals are all there is to the Catholic Church, why would anyone bother being Catholic?
In A People of Hope Dolan is seen at his best, capturing an upbeat, hopeful, affirming Catholicism that’s the untold story about the Church today. As readers spend time with Dolan here, they may find that his love for people and zest for friendship is what’s truly fundamental about the man, not a PR device calculated to conceal some other agenda. Dolan can and does draw lines in the sand when he believes that core matters of Catholic identity are at stake. He’s well aware that we live in a deeply secular world in the West, in which powerful pressures, both subtle and overt, seek to blur the counter-cultural message of Catholicism on many fronts. One key to Dolan’s character, however, is that changing hearts, not knocking heads, is always his first instinct.


Amazon Freebies:
Sons of Thunder (Brothers in Arms Collection (Summerside Press))Sweet BaklavaCircle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Burger RecipesThe Oak Leaves (The Oak Leaves Series #1)Stars Collide: A Novel (Backstage Pass)

.

It's Monday, What Are You Reading is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.  She asks what we read or reviewed this week and what we plan to read next week.
Read this Week: This has been a DNF week
Finding Aster: Our Ethiopian Adoption Story I thought the story had promise--American adopted girl from Ethiopia but found the book to be poorly written and self-absorbed.  I quit after about three chapters.
Until There Was You (Hqn) The guy who broke her heart in high school is back in town, as is the girl cousin who was her greatest rival.  She's over thirty but after 16% of the book I still thought I was reading about a high school kid and I just didn't care to keep reading.
A Stranger's Gift (Women of Pinecraft) This one I liked, and will review it in October

Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith I liked this.  See my review.
The Story of Noah's Ark: Wall Clings My seven year old assistant reviewer liked this one.  To be reviewed.

Next to Love: A Novel The story of four women who saw their men go off to WWII, and what happened afterwards.  I'm in the middle of it and I'm enjoying it so far.

 Books Read Earlier; Reviewed last week:
You'll note that the first couple of books below are Christmas books.  This week I started a link-up to which I'd like to invite all readers and book bloggers, Christmas in September.  Bloggers are invited to add links to your reviews of Christmas books, either from this year or years past (could be a good way to get more mileage out of old posts).  Readers are invited to read the linked reviews.  Prizes are available for both readers and bloggers.  Hopefully by the end of the month Christmas in September will have a long list of Christmas-themed books for all of us to try.
Mistletoe Wishes: The Billionaire's Christmas Gift\One Christmas Night in Venice\Snowbound with the Millionaire (Harlequin Anthologies) Three short romances in one.  My review.
The Santa Club Is Santa Real?  This book has the answer.  My review.
Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, Book 4) Medical romantic thriller.  My review.


18 comments:

  1. Catholicism sounds good... I will look at your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Christmas books! I'm so ready for the holidays, I can't wait! Hope you have a fabulous reading week and if you get a second stop by to see what I've been reading at There's A Book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next to Love sounds good. I love this period in history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find some winners in all those books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear you are enjoying Next to love. I have it on my tbr pile and need to get to it soon. I hope you enjoy your new reads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I loved Next to Love...hope you do, too. You have several intriguing titles...hope you enjoy them all...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently read Next to Love, but didn't love it. I hope you really enjoy it. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Schmidt book looks good. I'll be looking for your review. October is just around the corner. Have a great week and enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi RAnn,

    What a fantastic mix of books this week.

    I found it hard to choose which of them would be my reading choices, but finally settled on 'Lethal Remedy', A Stranger's Gift' and 'The Oak Leaves'.

    I have added all of those to my reading list.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Next to Love sounds like a great read - I will definitely be adding that one to my tbr list!

    Stop by and see what I have going on this week at Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:21 PM

    Enjoy! your books.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/mailbox-monday-great-place-for-seizure.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nice mixture of interests there. Good for you for knowing when it's not worth your while to force yourself to finish something. Have a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Archbishop Dolan used to be head of my archdiocese before he went to NY. We really miss him. I didn't know he wrote a book. I'll watch for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Next to Love sounds like something I would enjoy. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your Christmas in September idea! I love Christmas books, I am going to have to try to read one before the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your Christmas in September idea! I love Christmas books, I am going to have to try to read one before the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great mix of books. Hope you enjoy them all and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats