Saturday, September 24, 2011

Review: The Traitor's Wife

The Traitor's Wife: A Novel

About the Book:
In the harsh wilderness of colonial Massachusetts, Martha Allen works as a servant in her cousin's household, taking charge and locking wills with everyone. Thomas Carrier labors for the family and is known both for his immense strength and size and mysterious past. The two begin a courtship that suits their independent natures, with Thomas slowly revealing the story of his part in the English Civil War. But in the rugged new world they inhabit, danger is ever present, whether it be from the assassins sent from London to kill the executioner of Charles I or the wolves-in many forms-who hunt for blood. A love story and a tale of courage,The Wolves of Andover confirms Kathleen Kent's ability to craft powerful stories of family from colonial history.

My Comments:
Have you ever read one of those books you just knew you were supposed to like?  One of those books rich on historical detail with a plot that was anything but stock?  A book with many complex characters acting out of varying and sometimes conflicting motivations?  A "good" book of the type you could imagine discussing at a book group or even studying in school--but a book you had no desire to finish?  Well, that's this one for me.  I can list all sorts of good qualities of the book, but the bottom line is that I didn't like Martha and I've had this book in my "finish later" stack for some time, and I just haven't wanted to go back to it. 

Thanks to the publisher for making a review copy available via NetGalley.  I really think there are a lot of people who will enjoy it more than I did.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I read the review, because I had Kathleen Kent's first book, The Heretic's Daughter and couldn't get into it...I had to put it aside, too. Maybe I don't like the author's writing voice.

    Or subject matter.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats