Thursday, September 08, 2011
Seven Quick Takes
1. This is the first time I've participated in this Meme, so I hope I do it right.
2. This is the first week we've allowed my nineteen year old son to drive to school by himself. He is attending a community college a few miles from my office, so on the days he has school, he drops me off at my office and takes my van to school, and then in the afternoon, comes back to pick me up. Now he wants to know if he should pick up his little sister from after school care--but we'll take this one step at a time.
3. I'm spending Friday evening and most of the day Saturday at a retreat for adults working with Lifeteen in my parish. Since my contribution tends to be pizza, I'm not sure what the point of me being there is, except that I do need a spiritual tune-up so I figured why not, since it was offered.
4. My son is having trouble with his algebra class. It is taught via computer/video and they go to a lab and work on it per their own schedule, which is convenient but I think he would have done better with a live teacher. Unfortunately there wasn't a class available at a time that was at all convenient. I guess this will be one of those "learning experiences" but luckily he can drop the class without a grade for quite some time. Besides the social deficits, the biggest problem attributable to his autism is his lack of ability to manage life--to figure out how to work systems. I've been encouraging him to follow certain steps to get help, but I'm not going over there and pushing him into a room; he'll need to go on his own (but those rotor blades are whirling).
5. The weather this week has been remarkable. We've had record low temps and low humidity. Why couldn't we have had that nice weather Labor Day weekend when we were stuck inside watching Lee rain on us?
6. Guess folks are going to be depressed at work tomorrow, the Saints just lost :(
7. This isn't as hard as I thought it would be.
You can join in the fun! This week's host post is at http://www.conversiondiary.com/2011/09/7-quick-takes-friday-vol-142.html