Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Old AF and Annoyed Too

I guess it is official; I'm too old for mommy blogs, or at least too old for one that is all over my Facebook feed.  Why?  Because it seems to me that the majority of the posts include "AF".  Now, back in the stone ages of the internet when I was a young mom, "AF" on the internet was a euphemism for your menstrual period "Auntie Flo" came to visit.  I rolled my eyes; I thought it was dumb, but whatever, it wasn't offensive.  

Today's "AF" on the other hand, is a crude term for sexual intercourse.  I'm mad AF.  My boss is mean AF.  My children are annoying AF.  

People, you are writing for a blog that reaches millions, do you mean to tell me that you have no other suitable words in your vocabulary?  Has no one every told you that overuse of words makes them less powerful?  Because those expletives aren't used in polite company under usual circumstances, they either peg the user as impolite if used frequently, or powerfully call attention to something when used infrequently.  

Yes, I know your generation is different--just like every generation is different from their parents (and yes, most young moms today are young enough to be my children) and you aren't going to be bound by old norms and restrictions and you are going to be as non-phobic of everything but traditional morality as possible, but why must every story contain at least one AF?  

Yes, despite the fact that I have a teen, I'm old, old as dust.  

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats