Sunday, April 12, 2020

My COVID-19 Journal, Part II

I'm writing this on Easter morning. Mass on TV starts in 30 minutes, it will be our fourth Sunday not at our parish. While our parish is offering a livestream this week for the first time, I think we'll stick with the Cathedral on TV.  

I'll start my fourth week of working at home tomorrow.  I've been going in to the office about once a week to deal with things I can't do from home but I'm able to access my work computer via GoToMyPc, so in a lot of ways it's like being in the office.  The two major parts of my job are scheduling and summarizing.  Not much scheduling going on right now. I still have plenty of stuff to summarize right now, but all the car insurance companies are issuing refunds because all this social distancing means that people are driving less and getting in fewer accidents.  Unfortunately, I'm in the car accident business and fewer accidents today mean fewer suits a year from now.  

As far as working at home, it has its advantages and disadvantages.  The commute is great.  I love the wardrobe and I've only had make-up on my face once in the last month. I've become the family cook again and the food is better than when the kids cook. I am able to take a walk at lunchtime and not worry about whether I stink when I get home.  On the other hand, I miss being around other people and my kitchen table is not as comfortable as my work desk, and I'm worried about our business long term.  

Honestly, at this point, I'm over it, and I don't see an exit.  At what point are the numbers low enough?  If we get better at treating it, does that help?  We are all going to die one day, at what point do we say the cost of all this social distancing for everyone is too much?  I have two kids who are laid off and my husband's business is way down--and as I've said, it hasn't hit me yet, but our "pipeline" is blocked.  People say you can't put a price on human life, and while that is a nice sentiment, how many human lives will this shutdown cost?  People with too much anxiety? People who aren't able to have "elective" procedures dying prematurely?  The longer this goes on, the greater the collateral damage.

How are things going for you ?

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats