Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mine Is the Night: My Review

Mine Is the Night: A Novel

Evocative of the Book of Ruth, Mine Is the Night: A Novel is set in Scotland in 1746, shortly after the Jacobite Rebellion in Scotland.  Marjory had moved to her husband's Highland home, and while there her two sons married local women.  After her husband and sons were killed in the rebellion, she returns to her hometown, not as the proud lady of the manner she was when she left, but rather as a poor widow needing the charity of a relative, a relative with whom she did not associate in her wealthier days.  While one of her daughters-in-law returned to her family, the other, Bess, remained with her.  

Shortly after their arrival, Bess obtains work at the local manner as a seamstress.  She and the Lord of the manner become acquainted and eventually....(read the Book of Ruth in the Bible if you need to know how it ends)  There are far more parallels with the Book of Ruth than are described here.   

I enjoyed the story and thought the characters, while  too good to be true, were well developed.  I cheered as each couple found each other and enjoyed the historical detail.  As Christian fiction goes, this is on the religious end of the spectrum.  Bess is always trying to think of what God wants. We go to church with the characters and hear them pray.  Jack, the lord of the manner, insists on having the servants eat with him in the dining room once a month,as guests.  He pays extremely well.  As I said, too good to be true.  

I have not read the other books in the series, and unlike many series books, I did not feel like I was missing anything by not having the back story.  

I'd like to thank the publisher for sending me a review copy.  You can check back April 27 to read the first chapter.  Grade:  B.

3 comments:

  1. I read both books in the series and while I liked them both, this was by far the best one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the story; I just found the the constant references to doing God's will a little overdone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While it may be "too good to be true," hopefully, the reader will learn much about that period in time.

    I like historical fiction when I feel that I'm getting a bit of an education, too.

    I have a personal "book journal" that I use to review books that I've read - just as you do on this blog; and I end with a grade,too. :)

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats