Thursday, October 17, 2013

Seven Quick Takes: My Week in Review

Friday night my daughter came home from college; it was the first time we've seen her since we dropped her off in August.  She not the most chatty person on the phone so it was good to get a chance to talk to her and find out more about life at Northwestern State University of Louisiana.  In short, she is enjoying her classes and life in general.  They are having trouble with ants in her apartment and the internet on campus ate her homework one night, but the Latin teacher believed her and let her take the test over.

I also joined a "Biggest Loser" group at work. We weighed in and put up $15.00.  The pot will be split after 6 weeks.
Saturday I went to my Dad's.  He lives about an hour and a half from here.  His health declined quite a bit about a year ago and we've gotten help in and my two local brothers and I have pitched in too.  My contribution is to go over there most Saturdays and take him to Mass.  He was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago for some minor surgery and then in rehab.  I didn't go over there last week because of the weather, so this was the first time I'd seen him since he finished rehab.  In some ways it seemed like we hit the re-wind button.  When I started doing this a year ago, I really didn't think it would last long--I figured the funeral wasn't far off.  I'd push Dad into church in his wheelchair and he would sit for the entire mass, not even getting up for Communion.  Slowly he progressed to getting up at communion, then sitting and standing as called for at mass.  Eventually, he moved from the wheelchair to the walker, then the cane and finally, a couple of months ago, to just walking.  Now her is back in the wheelchair and sat for the whole mass.  Still, he is able to walk around his house and he is still getting PT.  Hopefully he'll build his strength back.
Sunday we joined some friends to watch the Saints game.  Unfortunately, we didn't win.  Still, it was nice to see all those people again. I probably ate more than I should have, but I did go for a walk before we left.
I went for a walk tonight while my daughter started her homework.  After she finished I got on the treadmill for a little while.
I really hate homework.  We were at it for almost two hours tonight, mostly studying.  After my daughter went to bed I got on the treadmill for about 40 minutes.
I went to physical therapy this morning. My left shoulder has been bothering me and my doctor and I figured that the other shoulder responded well to PT a couple of years ago, so we skipped the orthopedist and went straight to PT.  The therapist said she didn't think it was bursitis this time, but rather adhesive capsulitis.  She said PT was going to hurt this time.  Fun, Fun.
30 minutes on the treadmill tonight.  I can walk and read at the same time.  I've controlled my eating this week and I've exercised; it will be interesting to see what the scale shows tomorrow.  Another hour and a half at homework tonight, two tests tomorrow.  This Common Core math is confusing--or the textbook is, one or the other.
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!


  1. I have recently started working out on a treadmill. You can read while you exercise? Wondering if I can manage that! Any tricks to making sure you keep up a good pace while you're reading?

  2. Good luck on your diet. I'm hoping you will be the biggest loser!

  3. We had ant problems in college too - I think it's inherent to dorm life! Hopefully when winter weather arrives they'll go away :)

  4. I love the juxtaposition of homework and treadmill. Your homework after her homework...or your recovery time after it! :) Good luck! I love

  5. Simple Green for the ants.
    Homework--there is no cure. :)


View My Stats