Saturday, December 21, 2013

Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival



Hello, and welcome to Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. We are a group of Catholic bloggers who gather weekly to share our best posts with each other. To participate, go to your blog and create a post titled Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. In it, discuss and link to your posts for the week--whether they deal with theology, Catholic living or cute Catholic kids. I'm mostly a book blogger so my posts are generally book reviews, some Catholic, some not. Make sure that post links back here. Once you publish it, come back here and leave a link below.

We also have a yahoogroup; signing up for it will get you one weekly reminder to post.  Click here to sign up.

Question of the week:  Tell us about your family's Christmas traditions. Nope, no stories of highly religiously relevant things the kids love to do.  Of course we go to mass and we've done more than our share of Children's masses over the years, though I think we are over that stage now.  Santa comes on Christmas Eve because that's what my folks did.  The suit was lost in Katrina so we've had to change that tradition a little for the little kids, but Santa magic still happens.  Also we tend to have something every year to entertain the grownups as well as the kids.  Someone will bring Nurf guns or something similar for an all-out sibling/cousin battle.  Last year my brother made paddles (the spanking kind) for the kids but the only ones who got hit with them were the adult men posing for pictures.  In short, we aren't the smiling with matching outfits while sitting around the tree singing carols kind of family--but we manage to get along and I'm always saddened to hear of families who don't.

Please pray for me.  I took my daughter to see Sister Act last night and tripped on the way out and sprained my foot.  I'm on crutches and on pain pills.  Needless to say, I'm not getting a lot done.  

Two posts this week may interest you:  The Biographical Bible and a Giveaway of an Amish Anthology. 

Merry Christmas to all.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:24 PM

    RAnn,
    Thank you for hosting, Christmas blessings to all.
    Our family Christmas tradition is Christmas Eve dinner of fish, which as child I did not like because it was generally included squid. However, I grew to enjoy squid and the tradition, shopping for fresh squid with my father and then cleaning it together with him. I have passed it on and expanded it to into octopus. It brings great joy that when my sons visit for the holidays request a traditional Christmas Eve (or day) meal.
    To Love and Truth / Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted a book review that had been sitting in my drafts.

    Christmas traditions - a few years ago we started going out to ChickFilA for milkshakes the afternoon of Dec 24th. This year we'll be missing one who will be making coffees at Starbucks in Target.
    Christmas morning begins with Mass followed by gifts and then games in the afternoon with ham for dinner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting, RAnn. Sorry you hurt your foot.
    I have just three posts this week. The first is about my computer issues, the second is an article, with video, about a truncated version of "Silent Night," (what was that teacher THINKING???),
    and the third is my fan fiction for this week (just one chapter)
    Didn't have time to update my book list, but I hope to have
    it up again next week.
    I hope everyone has a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you RAnn! And please feel better, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your foot, RAnn. I hope the pain goes away and it heals quickly.

    The semester is finally over and now I should have time for more regular blogging and linking up here each week - until mid-January at least. I really missed reading and connecting with everyone! Since I haven't blogged much the last few weeks, I only have one post and it is an invitation for me to pray for you. So, if you have any prayer intentions let me know.

    As for Christmas traditions, Christmas Eve was a big thing growing up. My parents had open house and all of our friends and family would meander in and out all evening. We also got to open up just one gift, which was always pajamas. Now that we are all grown up (and my parents are divorced) my sister and her husband has continued the tradition. Although our kids open several presents (from Aunts and Uncles only) and they are never pajamas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We watch the lovely Snowman cartoon. My Canada-born wife makes Christmas pudding and hard sauce. We pop our crackers, and wear our paper crowns at dinner.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snowman

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_cracker

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your foot. Couldn't be a worse time to have it happen. I hope it isn't too long for the healing.

    Our tradition is nothing unusual...meet with family Christmas Eve and then on Christmas Day. The group does get smaller each year, though, since kids are getting married and moving away.

    ENJOY your Christmas week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry about your ankle. What a pain...literally and figuratively. :( I've been there.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats