Sunday, February 07, 2021

Monday Memes

This post is linked to Mailbox Monday, and to Its Monday What Are You Reading.  Check out the linked posts to keep your finger on the pulse of the book blogging world.

I got my monthly email from Amazon inviting me to pick my free Prime Reading book for the month.  None of them appealed to me.  However, since I didn't have any "I wants" I decided to try reading outside my comfort zone and selected 

 
 
Its a memoir written by a queer black person who uses plural pronouns rather than gendered ones.  I tried, I really did, but the book oozed with pain and seethed with rage and at least in the part I read, the author blamed all of that pain on the carceral (hey, I learned a new word) culture promulgated by white people and the conformity that culture requires.  It takes real talent to write a memoir that doesn't come across as self-absorbed, and unfortunately, Ziyad did not exhibit that talent.  

I got three new NetGalleys this week.  





The only one I've read so far is To Catch a Dream.  It is a romance with vivid bedroom scenes but it is as much about the heroine, Evie, coming to accept that she is loved by others in her life, not just the guy, as is is about him and her.  I'll publish a review in March.  

Last weekend, I interviewed Kathleen Basi, author of A Song for the Road.  We talked for almost an hour so I'm going to write several posts on the topics we covered.  This week I wrote "How to Write a Novel".  


How was your reading and blogging week? 








10 comments:

  1. That Maisey Yates book looks interesting, and quite different from her other books. I may have to look into it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my pick is Confessions from the Quilting Circle. Because it has quilting in the title! Shame about Black Boy Out of Time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your thoughts about the First Read book. Very fair. Enjoy your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to read outside your comfort zone! Sometimes it doesn't work, and that's ok. I haven't read a WWII historical fiction in a while. I'll have to check out The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your books look interesting...I am leaning toward Confessions from the Quilting Circle. Enjoy your week and your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't choose books from Amazon Primes catalogs very often. Most of them don't catch my attention and appeal to me even though I read in all the genres they highlight. I have a bunch of review books to read right now and am trying to stay away from NetGalley and Edelweiss until I catch up. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your books look good. I enjoy Maisey Yates' books. This look like a good one. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a good idea to try something outside your comfort zone... I don't do that as often as I should. Sorry it didn't work out this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the rest of your Netgalley picks are good! Have an awesome week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a great reading week for you!! Lots of variety. I am very late with my Monday visits :)

    Hope you've enjoyed your books this week, too!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats