Friday, May 01, 2009

Girls in Trucks: We have Winners!

Congratulations to Renee, Linda, Wendy, Lady Roxie, and Chris for winning Girls in Trucks. If you didn't win, you can always click my Amazon link and actually buy the book!

Amazon.com Review
Katie Crouch's debut novel, Girls in Trucks, is the hilarious, heartbreaking tale of Sarah Walters, a Southern debutante whose endless quest for love and fulfillment takes her around the world and back again. Orbiting Sarah is a cast of characters whose misadventures keep the story moving, even as readers grow frustrated with our heroine's inability to rise above her self-destructive tendencies and see the proverbial light.
We first meet Sarah and her friends Charlotte, Bitsy and Annie at the Charleston Cotillion Training School, where you're not allowed to dance with your cousin under any circumstances, and students are strictly forbidden from dancing the Shag. Sarah, who lives in the shadow of her brilliant, beautiful sister Eloise, is a reluctant debutante at best, and unsurprisingly heads East for college. She eventually lands in New York City, where she slaves away as an editorial assistant and ruins an impressive number of relationships with nice, and not so nice guys. Woven into Sarah's tales of romantic woe are Bitsy, Charlotte and Annie's struggles with infidelity, addiction and low self esteem, respectively. What saves this novel from becoming a cliched tale of failed romance and Southern excess is Crouch's amazing wit, which magically appears every time her characters' self-loathing threatens the affection we inevitably develop for each woman:

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!
    I will post about winning and give a link to you blog on Tues.
    I am so excited about winning this book. When we were in Barnes and Noble I showed the book to my husband and told him to remember it. I said- I have entered to win this book and if I don't win, I will just have to buy it!
    When I found out I won, I called him and said - Do you remember that book I showed you? I won!!!

    OK, I will be quiet now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the winners! This really sounds like a great book! I am going to put it on my list of must-reads!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats