Saturday, May 01, 2010

Book Review: The English Major

The English Major: A NovelThe English Major: A Novel showed up in the box outside my office, where I put books others are welcome to take.  The book is about a sixty year old man whose wife just divorced him.  He takes a roadtrip across the US to contemplate his future.  Review quotes on the cover call it "comic" and "ribald".  I found it sad.  At first I felt sorry for the main character; then I hoped for some growth.  Finally I skipped to the end to see how it came out--he hadn't changed a bit, hadn't learned anything and was right where he started.  No thanks.  Grade F.  Lots of crude sexual references, but, at least in the 100+ pages I read, no vivid sex scenes.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the heads up on thi one. Sounds like the author had some good opportunities to go a different direction with this story but, totally missed the mark.

    I hope you are having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Finally I skipped to the end to see how it came out"

    Will you do this and then still finish a book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I will. I thought this book had a good premise and I had sympathy for the main character at the beginning of the book. Then he picked up a young married woman and began a torrid affair. He was supposed to drop her off after a couple of states and I kept waiting for that to happen. When he did, I liked the book better and then I didn't like the way it headed again. I went to the last chapter, and had I liked the ending, I would have read the rest of the book to see how he got there; but as I said, no dice.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats