Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Review: Bride for a Night

Bride for a Night (Hqn)

About the Book:
 After Talia Dobson is jilted at the altar, she endures another humiliation: a substitute groom! The elder brother of her runaway betrothed has taken matters into his own hands. Shy Talia has long held a secret attraction for Andrew Richardson, the handsome Earl of Ashcombe. But when she’s wedded, bedded and dispatched alone to his country estate, the timid beauty discovers one night of passion has ignited a bold inner fire.
While his lovely green-eyed bride is out of sight, she is not far from Andrew’s mind—and when Talia is abducted by French spies, the earl fears he may lose what he’s only just found. Yet the wife he races to rescue is a far cry from the gentle bride he abandoned. She’s a woman who dares to demand forever after from her husband…


My Comments:
I'm not a comedy fan, so I don't generally laugh when reading.  I laughed most of the way through this book, but I don't think that's what the author had in mind.  It was over-the-top, almost melodramatic and I say that as some who regularly reads romance and doesn't expect excessive realism.  From Talia rescuing Andrew from the dungeon to her mother-in-law rescuing her from social obscurity (or worse, being a laughingstock) everything works out for the best, everyone is brave and beautiful and of course, they all live happily ever after.  What more could you want in a romance novel?  


If what you want in a romance novel is physical romantic activity left to the imagination, this isn't the book for you--but that activity happens after marriage.  


I'd like to thank the publisher for making a review copy available via NetGalley.  I was not obligated to provide a positive review (or any review for that matter).  Grade:  C+

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats