Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lenten Reading--Please join in

If you check out my sidebar and this you'll see that I read three major types of blogs: "Mom" blogs, generally those belonging to folks I know from elsewhere, book blogs and Catholic blogs. This meme is an attempt to join together two of those groups--Catholics (though not necessarily only Catholics, as I know some other folks observe Lent as well) and book bloggers. Here are the rules:

1. Copy these questions to your blog, and answer them:

What books have you read and/or reviewed in the last year that you would recommend to people looking for Lenten reading? What book/s is/are you reading this Lent?

(If you don't have a blog, leave your answer here in a comment)

2. Include a link back here.

3. Leave a comment here with a link to your post.

4. Encourage your blog friends to participate. Let's see if we can help each other find books for Lent and beyond.

My answers: Books I've reviewed this year that I would recommend for Lenten reading include The Lamb's Supper which is Scott Hahn' s book that discusses how the book of Revelation is really a handbook on the mass. If you want to work on your marriage, try The Husband Project. It is a novel, but Anne Rice's Christ the Lord, The Road to Cana could give you some things to think about. She also wrote Christ the Lord, Out of Egypt. Both of these go beyond Scripture but, from what I can tell, are faithful to both it and Tradition. Pope Benedict's The Apostles is a beautiful book. Great works of art are used to illustrate his writings about each of the apostles. He tells us that scripture and tradition tell us about each of them. God's Prayer Book is about praying the psalms. If you want a simle rosary book try The Rosary: A Journey to the Beloved. If Eucharistic Adoration is in your plans (or ought to be) try Jesus Present Before Me.

My reading list for Lent includes Knowing Right from Wrong. It is a great book; I read it once, it deserves re-reading. I am also planning on reading Paul's epistles.

4 comments:

  1. Awww...you have mentioned some great books there. The Lamb's Supper is an excellent book. It truly changed the way I experienced the Mass. But then everything Hahn write is very good.

    I have not read the Rice book. I will admit I have been hesitant to do so. But I have read such glowing reviews recently from Catholics whose judgment I trust that I will have to read them. I also want to get her autobiographical book about her spiritual journey, Called Out of Darkness.

    As far as the rosary, one simple little book I like very much is Praying The Rosary by Michael Dubruiel, who you may know recently dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined in and here is a link to MY POST.

    It's a great idea and thanks for posting the invite on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lamb's Supper: Can't say enough about it! Great, great book.

    Anne Rice's Called Out of Darkness was alright, but not as earth-shattering as I'd expected for a conversion (or reversion) story. Still interesting though.

    I'm reading Teresa of Avila's The Interior Castle for Lent... and probably parts of Papa B's Eschatology, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this is the first time I've ever done one of these things so I hope I get it all right. Of course I loved "The Apostles" but I haven't read the others. Are you going to read "Death on a Friday Afternoon" with us? I hope so! Here's the link to my post!

    Ash Wednesday Blessings!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats